Friday, May 18, 2012

Peppernuts!

"December 22, 1991:  Howard helped me for 2 1/2 hours to roll out and bake peppernuts.
December 24, 1991:  Greta, Dorothy Jo, Helen and John here for soup supper after the Christmas Eve service.  Lester came to exchange gifts.

I know for a sure fact that I certainly spent more time consuming peppernuts than I did helping make them.  They were good crunched right away and also good sucked on until the bottoms caved in. -- can't go wrong with peppernuts.

I did get a chance to help make them on at least three occasions I can think of.  I know Dale and I helped when we were still in high school.  We tried to talk Grandma out of smooshing the "sharp" corners made while cutting but she convinced us that people might hurt their mouths on them if we skipped that step.  We didn't believe it, but we smooshed away so as to be obedient and not disappoint her.

Then the kids and Nancy and I made them with Grandma in Winside on the back porch.  I don't remember how much help the kids actually were.  I only remember a photo of Anna under the card table, definitely not helping at that moment.  Or was it Mitch?  I am putting money on Anna.

And I am pretty sure I at least stirred up a batch after Grandma moved to Lincoln.  I especially recall the hand-stirring.  The dough had to be stiff and after so many additions of flour, I was SURE no more flour could possibly be added but Grandma said "more" and we kept going.  I didn't break my arm doing it, but was kinda hoping near the end that I would so we could call in reinforcements.

I think we (Mom? Nancy?) have talked about making peppernuts some time.  Haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I have faith.

I don't know if we had peppernuts for the Christmas of 1966 captured in the photo, but with those happy faces we sure look like maybe we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment