Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The TV saga

"June 19, 1994:  Greta, Rick, Mary, Mitch, Dale and Dane here for dinner.  Kyleah had been sick during the night so Lynn stayed home with her.  Nancy finished cleaning the front porch.
June 20, 1994:  The TV had a burnt out fuse and a loose dial -- cost $37 to repair.
June 22, 1994:  Raymond and Marina came.
June 23, 1994:  Nancy came in evening.
June 24, 1994:  Nancy took me to Norfolk and got the TV."

Looks like maybe Nancy was naughty and didn't get to have dinner on the 19th; she just got to clean the porch.

Now, 1994 wasn't that long ago but when was the last time you, dear reader, had a television with a dial on it?  It's been awhile for me.  Some comedian was saying how his folks and grandparents told him how tough they had it when they were young, like walking two miles uphill both ways to school.  He wondered what he would tell his grandkids -- that he had to get up out of the chair and turn a knob to change channels?  Such a tough life.  One time when the electricity went out and Mitch was young enough to be a bit scared about it all, I told him the things I didn't have when I was his age like Nintendo and a computer and such.  Even at that young age, he was impressed thinking how miserable my childhood must have been.  The photo is of me on my non-motorized vehicle laughing at his naivete.  I am guessing those are my diapers on the line behind me.  How scandalous!

No comments:

Post a Comment