Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Canasta


"January 30, 1994:  Bill, Jenny, Jayme and Greta here for dinner.  Played Canasta.  Still cold.
February 3, 1994:  Howard to Dr. Sprik.  I had new left lens put in my glasses.  John and Helen took us to Norfolk.
February 4, 1994:  Pinochle Club at Ida's.

Another birthday for Grandma, her 82nd.  Big spoiler alert -- the family came up soon after for a dinner; we did not forgot.  I am just saving that for tomorrow.

I remember Grandma Anna playing a lot of Canasta.  My memory may be foggy on how much she played but for some reason it is the card game I associate most with her.  Oddly enough, I barely know how to play and have only done so on a few occasions. 

A quick search on wikipedia provided this info:  "The game of Canasta was devised by Segundo Santos and Alberto Serrato in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1939.  In the 1940s the game quickly spread in myriad variations to Chile, Peru, Brazil and Argentina, where its rules were further refined before being introduced to the United States in 1948, where it was then referred to as the Argentine Rummy game by Ottilie H. Reilly in 1949 and Michael Scully of Coronet magazine in 1953.  The game quickly became a card-craze boom in the 1950s providing a sales avalanche of card sets, card trays and books about the subject."

Who knew, right? 

Speaking of Jayme (up there before I got side-tracked with card games), here's a cute picture of him and Jayson.

3 comments:

  1. I kind of remember canasta, like "nasty canasty", ??
    Jim Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy do I remember Canasta. We had a lot of fun playing that. Haven't played in years until we were at Jean's and got to try it again. Must work on that so we can resume playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Mitch got to play Canasta and really liked it. Jim, I haven't heard of nasty canasty. Sounds like something Grandma would highly disapprove of. lol

    ReplyDelete