Friday, October 26, 2012

Corn and more corn

"August 5, 1994:  Pinochle Club at Elsie J.'s.
August 6, 1994:  Daisy J. and Arlene R. brought sweet corn.  I got it all in the freezer -- must have had over two bushels all together.
August 10, 1994:  WELCA.
August 13, 1994:  Nancy came and brought Dane and Kyleah.  She weeded flowers for me.  She and Howard picked sweet corn at Schellenbergs.
August 14, 1994:  Nancy went home in p.m.  I froze the corn she and Howard picked."

This post has more of Grandma's entries than usual, but I wanted to get all the corn news together.  Frozen sweet corn is great, but there is still something grand about fresh sweet corn still on the cob.  Yum!  Garrison Keillor has a song about the wonder of sweet corn.

On a personal note, I was thinking that our cats had been eating a lot of food lately, but with winter coming on and it being colder, I thought it made sense.  I went outside last night to give Beau (dog) his antibiotic and saw a shape in the dark eating cat food.  It didn't look like a cat exactly, and as it turns out it wasn't.  A possum was calmly gobbling away.  It saw me and left by jumping off the deck, but certainly not with the panic and shame I thought it should.  By the time I got around the deck, which didn't take very long at all, I couldn't see where it went.  And all this but two feet from the back door.  I promptly took the cat food dishes inside for the night.  This morning I was met by a dark silhouette of a cat -- it was really a cat this time -- meowing outside the door for food.  Poor kitties have to suffer due to a nasty ol' possum!

But back to more cheerful things like corn . . . here's Grandpa and Uncle Raymond enjoying some, not thinking of possums at all, probably.  But with those serious expressions, who knows?

1 comment:

  1. I noticed the bare feet. My father said that when school was out for the year, off came the shoes. I don't know if they saved them for the next school year or what. He said the first few days were hard, but the feet quickly toughed up.

    Also, schoolchildren got 2 weeks off in the fall to help pick corn.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete