Friday, August 31, 2012

Outdoors happenings


"April 23, 1993:  Greta came after work and helped Howard plant potatoes, carrots, radishes and peas.  Dale and Dane here in late p.m.  Dale got ferns from Greta.
April 28, 1993:  Don Orris and Dave Tobias reshingled the front porch."

Seems there was a flurry of activity, which is good I would think.  I don't remember if Mom said she liked planting or picking in the garden better.  Regardless, you really have to have both if you want an end product.  I truly am vowing to get my rear in gear so we (that means anyone wanting to come garden, Nancy -- I already know Mom is all in) can have a garden next year.  I have the spot picked and a website or two handy to tell me how to beef up the soil and what to plant when and other helpful things.  Fingers crossed.  Maybe Tom will come out and help since it looks from the photo that he really enjoys it.

1 comment:

  1. I really preferred planting. Probably two reasons - planting schedules are a lot more flexible than picking and it's cooler and not nearly as humid at planting time as it frequently is whenever it is time to pick something. Digging potatoes and pulling carrots was usually done in cooler times.

    ReplyDelete