Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Grandma Anna, explained


October 19, 1931 - "Oh! how I hate to get up in the mornings."  I got up at 5:30 this morning.  I got to school about 7:30 and found many dead flies as a result of the poison I put out Friday nite.  Lydia Wittler was here this evening while her mother and Mrs. Wittler went to some meeting  or other.  We had pheasant for supper this evening.
October 20, 1931 - I didn't get up quite as early this morning as I did yesterday morning.  I played "Sheep in My Pen" with the kids this noon.  It was real warm today.  Am going to bed at 7:30 tonite.  I'm so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open.
October 21, 1931 - It's been cloudy and windy all day and tonite it's trying to rain.  I got a letter from Florence Schellenberg today and tonite I wrote about five letters.  Mrs. Walker churned today and I had buttermilk to drink for breakfast, dinner, and supper.  And did it taste good!

Maybe Grandma Anna knew how tired Grandma was getting and that's why she said no to going to Hoskins.

Did Grandma mean Lydia Wittler's mother and Mrs. Walker went to a meeting?  It doesn't really matter, but it was something I noticed.

Buttermilk.  I wonder if it tastes better after a real old-fashioned churning than from the store, because I do not see the attraction.  But I have only had buttermilk from a cardboard carton from the store.  I also wonder if the photo shows the kind of churn Mrs. Walker used.  I think the crank would be preferable to the up-and-down-type of churning.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those butter churns. I always thought they were fun. I do remember that I don't like buttermilk. I think Mom and Daddy both liked it. UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete