Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bases covered


November 24, 1931 - It seemed cold to me today and I guess it was cold.  The kids brought their sleds to school and went sleigh-riding at noon and recesses.  I washed my hair tonite after supper, manicured my finger-nails and wrote letters to Mrs. Smith and Walter Nelson.
November 25, 1931 - Ray came after me this evening about five o'clock.  I wanted to go to Alice's to get a finger-wave, but his lights burnt out and we didn't get to go.  I went to Jonson's and had Mr. Jonson sign my order for me.  Went down to Anna Boyd's tonite and got a finger-wave.
November 26, 1931 - Today is Thanksgiving Day.  And it's snowing.  We had a duck that Uncle Hans' sent in and also a rooster.  Ray took me back to Walker's about four o'clock this afternoon.  This evening we walked over to Nurnberg's.  We had a good time going, coming home and while there.

Going, coming home and while there . . . quite the successful jaunt.

Of course, I have no real idea of what daily life was like in 1931, but the mentions of not being able to go here or there because of the car are somewhat frequent in Grandma's diaries.  Too much rain, burnt out lights, tire issues, etc. all had an effect.  Nowadays, and especially near the "big city", we can go to a 24-hour store for light bulbs, tire repair can be fairly easy (and free if you have tires under warranty), and rain has to be awfully bad to deter people.  The car is just one facet of the differences Grandma lets us peek in on; I've never churned butter, for instance.  Not that I wouldn't mind giving it a try.  Just once would probably cure my enthusiasm, however.  But then, that photo makes it look pretty tempting . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment