Monday, February 10, 2014

Box social


November 6, 1931 - Mayme and Lloyd came after me this evening.  We went to the Hoskins pavilion to the carnival given by the High School.  Bernice and I decorated the interior of Lloyd's car with confetti.  Lloyd won two boxes of candy, which he gave to Mayme of course.  My but confetti is a nice thing to have down your back and in your clothes.  Mayme and I talked from 12:00 to 2:30 after she got in the bed.
November 7, 1931 - I went over to Alice's this morning and she washed and finger-waved my hair for me.  Washed and ironed my clothes, etc.  This evening we went to the masquerade dance at Hoskins.  We surely had a punk time.  There were only a few there that were masked.
November 8, 1931 - We slept real late this morning.  Mayme and I spent the entire afternoon trying to decide about our box socials.  I'm going to have mine December 17, and she's going to have hers December 18.  They took me back to Walkers' early and I was in bed at 8:30.

I had a notion of what a box social is/was and I looked it up to be sure.  Seems I was on the mark.  The article did say that they fell out of favor for a time, but seem to be having a resurgence.  I am all for a resurgence; something to get kids away from all the texting and other technology.

Mom called me yesterday to say Aunt Aileen died.  I do not know if she had siblings, but she was the last of Grandma and Grandpa's tier on the family tree, including spouses.  A bit of an odd feeling to think of that.  Of course, the only photo I have of her is one she almost missed being in.  But, there she is in the back in yellow.


2 comments:

  1. We still have Uncle John in Daddy's tier. But he is the last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, don't I feel dumb. And I was thinking of Uncle John just the other day. Okay, this should have read the last of the Nebraska folks on that tier . . .

    ReplyDelete