Tuesday, December 4, 2012

New stuff and old stuff


"February 12, 1995:  Greta took me to church -- Jr. High youth held a casserole and dessert dinner.  We stayed for it -- some delicious food.
February 13, 1995:  Ladies started quilting my sampler quilt today.
February 14, 1995:  Cold, windy and some freezing rain.

Since Grandma didn't give me much to work with there, and because I am getting to the end of this particular journal, I am going to use up some of the extra stuff she wrote down in this book.

Nov. 7, 1969:  Greta and Lester married at Madison
Sept. 1971:  They moved to Winside from Norfolk to small house in east part of town
Sept. 1972:  Greta started working at the bank
August 1973:  Moved into present house
April 1976:  Lester sold his truck
May 1976:  Sonny and Jeff moved in
May 1980:  Mary moved to Lincoln
April 1984:  Lester retired
November 1985:  Had house sided
April 1987:  Got Button
August 1987:  Bought house next door
July 1991:  Fuzzy joined family
August 2003:  Greta to retire

I will let Mom inform me if any of that is incorrect.

(Don't tell Bill, Nancy or Tom but the only other list of any one child's life events is this short entry:

Bill & Jenny
Swedeberg 1971
Wahoo 1974)

Here's another photo that I don't think I have used and don't know when I might, so here it is.  At first I thought it looked like Grandma Anna's hose had fallen down around her ankles, but in looking at her footwear (what kind of footwear is that anyway?) it may be that she was wearing socks; something I never remember her doing.  She looks a bit weary with all those grandkids (well, kids too) hovering around.  I confirmed with Nancy that one of the blond little girls is Kendra, Uncle Ray and Aunt Aileen's daughter that died from cancer when she was still a child.  Nancy did not recall where Kendra fell in the birth order, so I do not know which one she is.  The photo was taken in 1956.  Mom, help here?

3 comments:

  1. I have no idea what kind of footwear Grandma was wearing - almost looks like some kind of toeless shoe. Don't ever remember her wearing anything like that.
    Kendra was the youngest of Uncle Ray's girls so that means she is the one he is holding.
    I'm glad Mom had a record of all that stuff. I don't remember the dates for half of that. So thanks for including it in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! Glad to do it, even though I am behind. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think maybe I compiled all that information for some kind of contest YOU instigated for our 25th anniverary.

    ReplyDelete