Thursday, December 6, 2012

Keeping warm


"February 28, 1995:  Finished piecing Jayme's Storm at Sea quilt top.  Still must sew on the border strips.
March 1, 1995:  Started putting together my third Rail Fence quilt.  Went to Wilva's for a permanent.
March 4, 1995:  Helen came in p.m. to play Scrabble.  In mid-afternoon, started a freezing drizzle -- by Sunday morning a skiff of snow over the ice.  Sunday night started to snow -- snowed most of Monday -- at least 10 inches.  No school Monday or Tuesday.
March 8 and 9, 1995:  8 or 10 degrees above in morning.  Below zero at night."

Brrrr!  I am so happy to have a furnace (and several quilts, for that matter) to keep warm with when days and nights get like that.  I know I would have been proficient at building and keeping a fire going back in "the old days" but I don't know that I would have been happy about doing it.  Of course, if I knew nothing else it would not be that big of a deal, right?  We have one of those outdoor fireplace chimney-shaped things.  I think when it starts to getting really, really cold at night that I will make a fire in there for the cats with all the little branches that fall off of the trees.  I also have a brush pile that I can pilfer smaller pieces of wood from.  The bigger logs go in the house for the people's warmth.

Here's a quilt I tried to call a Rail Fence once, but I think Mom said Grandma called it a brick variation or something.  (I really need to write things down or else read my own blog every now and then to remember this stuff.)  In any event, a quilt for your viewing pleasure.

P.S. I  am now caught up with my posts.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment