Monday, December 10, 2012

More quilt stuff going on


"March 19, 1995:  Greta took me to church.  I talked to Nancy.  I'll be staying in Lincoln from next Sunday -- the 26th -- until Palm Sunday.  Merilyn will have surgery the 28th.
March 20, 1995:  John and Helen took me to Pierce to Dr. Voss to have my prescription renewed.  Sewed binding on Alicia's quilt.
March 21, 1995:  Baked peanut butter and ice box cookies.
March 22, 1995:  Sewed binding on Merilyn's quilt."

Now, I have not made a full-sized quilt ever.  But I think I would probably want to take a beating before I was able to finish doing the binding.  I am assuming Grandma is talking about hand-stitching the binding down as the final step in finishing a quilt.  First, I am too picky and would fuss and stew over each and every stitch ("Should I go over to the right an extra millimeter, or is this okay?).  Second, I don't do well doing any one thing for as long as that must take.  Well, I guess that isn't true since I don't mind crocheting for long periods of time.  But with crocheting you can see progress by just holding it up quickly.  With a quilt, it just all looks the same, I imagine until suddenly, poof!, you are to where you started.  I don't think the four corners would be progress enough to keep me going.

Enough about me and my quirks.  Here's a photo of Mom undoubtedly smiling about her future daughter's borderline insanity.

2 comments:

  1. Sewing the binding on a quilt most definitely IS NOT fun. I really dread it and have to set some goals ie: work for 30 minutes, get to the corner, or whatever gimmick I can dream up to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably need rewards that involved money or massive amounts of chocolate. I just can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete