Thursday, March 15, 2018

Playing marbles


Sun., January 5, 1936 - Snowy and cold.  Ray, Willie, and Lillie came in tonite about 5:00.  They're going to Omaha tomorrow.  Ray is going to take the examinations to join the Navy.  Howard brought me out to Goodlings tonite.
Mon., January 6, 1936 - Schoolhouse cold.  Cold all day outside.  Went to installation tonite.  Howard and the girls came with Leo & Nels because their car isn't working right.  Carroll installed Rebekahs & Winside the Odd Fellows.  I was installed as secretary.
Tues., January 7, 1936 - Still real cold.  Spring must be coming because the boys brought their marbles to school today.  We talked until about 10:30 tonite.   21 degrees below zero this a.m.

Having never played marbles -- I was fond of jacks, however -- I looked up the rules.  It seems pretty simple but I do not have plans to play anytime soon.  My knees would never forgive me.  The cartoon is from the 1950's, but I still thought it was cute.  Also believe Grandma would have gotten a chuckle out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment