Friday, March 16, 2018

A heat wave and some beans


Wed., January 9, 1936 - Goodlings thermometer registered 8 degrees above this morning.  We didn't talk quite so late tonite.  I'm sleeping on the davenport which is in the dining room.  I start the fire in the mornings.
Thurs., January 9, 1936 - So warm today that it thawed this afternoon.  We started hot lunches today, our first lunch being mashed potatoes and pickled beans.
Fri., January 10, 1936 - Mr. Goodling took me to town after supper.  Ray, Willie and Lillie got back at 6:00 p.m.  Edna R. came with them.  Ray can't join the navy.  He couldn't pass the physical exam.  We went to Carroll to John and Sophia's charivari dance.  Peter J., Eddie P., Jimmy J. and Howard came from installation at Wayne at intermission.  I went home with Howard.

I wonder why Uncle Ray had troubles with the Navy's physical examination.

I wonder when I last had dilly beans, one version of pickled beans.  I also wonder if I should grow some beans this year just so I can can some dilly beans.  Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment