Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mitch, the yakker -- finally


"May 13, 1995: Nancy, Bill, Jenny and Patty came in the morning.  Bill took us to dinner at the Black Knight in Wayne.  We played cards in the afternoon.  About 4:30 we went to Dorothy Jo's for Teresa's college graduation party.  Bill's left about 6 or 7:00 -- took Mitch back with them.  Nancy had brought him to Greta's in the morning.  Mary and Rick didn't come -- doctor advised Mary not to take such a long drive.  Tom and Merilyn came to Dorothy's and then here -- we played cards.  They left for Lincoln about 11:30.  Tom had a job to finish Sunday.
May 14, 1995:  Nancy, John, Helen, Dale, Kyleah, Dane, Howard and I were at Greta's for dinner.  Had a good dinner and good visiting."

I hate to pick on Grandma here, but of course it was a good dinner and good visiting.  Good grief.

I am glad to read that Mitch went a-traveling without his parents.  Most of us remember when that would not have happened -- not no way, no how.  But by this age, he was getting much better.  I think mid-May would have been about five months after the shock I had in the grocery store when Mitch started talking the ear off the lady behind us in line.  It was like a switch was tripped -- prior to that incident he pretty much wanted nothing to do with anyone that wasn't Rick or me.  But that one day, shortly after Christmas and his birthday, that he started telling this lady who was a stranger all about his presents and excitement for the holidays.  Thankfully, she was not opposed to talking to a little guy and responded with all the right questions and shared enthusiasm.  I swear I could have walked out of the store without him and he wouldn't have noticed.

Here's a photo of Mitch a different Christmastime, obviously not enjoying himself very much.  Moments before he was happy in his little disguise, but once the camera came out he was done with it.  Obviously.

1 comment:

  1. He really did turn into a yakker. I don't know how old he was but he had a toy called a "Transformer" of some kind. He took it to church and I wouldn't let him go up for the children's sermon because I was sure he would start in explaining that toy to the minister and not let him get a word in edgewise. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete