Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Grandma must have been worried


"July 20, 1995:  Howard to Dr. Patel -- took biopsy.  Raymond's took us to Toni's to eat.
July 21, 1995:  Pinochle at Ida's.  Gaylord's and Lee and Virginia N. here in the evening.
July 23, 1995:  Helen and I played Scrabble.  Bill here at noon -- Jayme was at music camp.
July 25, 1995:  Helen and I played Scrabble here.  John brought the stand for cassette tapes.  Raymond and Marina went to Elmer & Myrtle's."

I am thinking Grandma was worried about Grandpa's health, or very involved with company and cards and Scrabble, but I am positive we were up to Winside prior to July 25 to introduce Anna to the family, and there's been no entry by her about that.  Even if that date is incorrect, I have looked ahead in Grandma's journal and there's no mention of a visit prior to Anna's baptism in August and I know we were up before then.  But, I will forgive her the lack of a mention.

I imagine Mom remembers how ornery we were with the first Anna visit.  I hatched a plan and Rick dropped Anna and I off in St. Paul's parking lot and then he and Mitch rode down to Mom's.  We had to tell Mitch it was okay to tease Grandma this one time.  So, they get in the driveway and Mom comes out and Rick tells her that it was hot (which is was) and I was really tired so Anna and I stayed home.  Mom admits she told them in sullen tones to just come on in the house then.  By that time I was walking down the hill with Anna, so we didn't tease her for too awfully long.

Well, I thought I had a photo ready of Grandpa and Anna during the introduction visit and now I can't find it.  So instead, for no particular reason, here are Uncle Elmer and Grandpa living it up.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember very well that first Anna visit. I was really disappointed. And it seems to me that she wasn't much over a week old so that had to be before July 25 as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But we didn't let you stay disappointed very long at least.

    ReplyDelete