Sunday, July 16, 2017

Quilt in progress


Tues., May 21, 1935 - Sunshiny this morning and rainy this p.m.  Sewed on my quilt.  Mom got some tomato and sweet potato plants tonite from Carl Wolf.
Wed., May 22, 1935 - Rainy and cloudy all day.  Mom went down town and mailed order for Broken Star quilt.  Worked on my Flower Garden quilt.
Thurs., May 23, 1935 - Clear all day for a change.  A big colored ring was around the sun this noon.  Mom went down to Schellenbergs this p.m. to sew.  Florence came up here.  I walked home with her, had lunch and she brought us home in the car.

I could not find an image of a Broken Star quilt pattern.  I thought it was like the one Grandma made for Dale, but I'm not sure.  This is what I know as the Flower Garden pattern, but there may be more than one.  I can't say that working with those hexagons would be pleasurable for me.  I would steer towards something with less wonky corners.

I haven't done a Sunday recipe for a very long time.  Since Ms. Reichert has been popping up recently, here is a recipe in Grandma's cookbook with credit to Ms. Reichert.

Cookies

1/2 c.margarine
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1-1/4 c. sifted flour
1 egg
1 c. coconut
2 c. corn flakes
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. butter flavoring

Chill dough for a short time.  Roll in balls, do not flatten.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees.

We are a little short on details here as to mixing instructions and time for baking, but still worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment