Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A mystery solved


Fri., June 14, 1935 - I had my first lesson in bread baking today and I had good bread, too!  To lodge tonite.  Howard brought me home.
Sat., June 15, 1935 - Cleaned the house and the basement this morning.  I washed and waved my hair this p.m.  Went down town tonite, met Howard, and he brought me home.
Sun., June 16, 1935 - Up at 5:00 and left at 7:00 for Elkhorn.  Mom, Grussfather, Ray and I went.  Grussmother thought the trip would be too hard on her.  The folks hadn't been back to Elkhorn since they moved away 44 years ago.  Stopped at Andrew's on our way home for my knives.  Got home at 8:00.  Mom, Ray and I went out to Ola's tonite.  Florence and Edwin got up a surprise for them for their ninth wedding anniversary.  We played cards and danced.  Howard brought Mom and I home.  Lloyd Voss was buried today.  He committed suicide by gassing himself in his car about 6 miles southwest of Hoskins Wednesday or Thursday.  The body was found yesterday.  Mayme is in the hospital at Norfolk and is quite sick.  F. S. said they hadn't told her about Lloyd. 

I have no trouble believing Grandma had success on her first day of baking bread.

Now that the knives have come up again, I know who Trena is, mentioned earlier when Grandma sent her a letter about her missing silverware.  Trena was married to Andrew Andersen (the keeper of the knives in this post), whose father was a brother to Ole Andreasen, William Andersen's father.  Shorter version -- Andrew was William Andersen's first cousin.  I am glad to have this information since I had not yet ventured out on this particular branch of the family tree and therefore, Trena was unknown to me until just today.  Further digging reveals her full name was quite lovely -- Rasmine Petrine Rasmussen Andersen.  And since we were talking about him, I'm using a photo of Mr. Ole Andreasen today.

I know the last name Voss, but will need help from someone to know who Lloyd and Mayme were.  Very sad story.  There was nothing in the Winside history book about Lloyd's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment