Wednesday, May 11, 2016

WJB and small town fundraising


March 19, 1933 - Strong wind from northeast and snowing hard at 7:00 this morning.  After much debating I decided to go back on the bus or train.  The bus didn't get through so went on the evening train to Hoskins. Went up to Bernice May's.  Called up the Walkers and the boys came after me.  They didn't have any trouble getting there.  Snowed all day.
March 20, 1933 - Had to clean up the rest of the party mess this morning.  Sun shining all day.  Snow on all window sills at school.  Ronald was absent.  Mildred and I played two games of "Over the Top".  I lost both of them.
March 21, 1933 - Ronald has a sore hip.  Kenneth came after his lessons this a.m.  Thawed quite a bit.  I read, corrected examination papers and made out report cards this evening.  I forgot my keys Sunday.  Mom sent them to me today.

An evening train to Hoskins -- I still can't get used to the idea of riding trains between Hoskins and Winside and Wayne.  I wonder how many trips there were each day.

A bit more of Winside history, today from 1908:

     January 30, the newly organized Fire Company asked the business men to donate something that could be sold, in order to buy new equipment.
     February 18, $195 was cleared from the supper and auction.
     July 30, the Rehmus barn in the east part of town was destroyed by fire yesterday.
     August 27, W. H. McClusky passed away, formerly a merchant here in 1888.
     October 1, Wm. Schrumpf our agent left to take up his new duties at Laurel.  C. W. Anderson is the new agent.
     October 24, The Winside Bryan Club has been formed with Walter Gaebler, president; E. W. Cullen, vice president; Clyde T. Ecker, secretary; Tom Lound, treasurer.
     October 13 [should be November?], W. J. Bryan had an enormous crowd out to hear him speak from the rear of his special train.
     October 22 [should be November?], Sam H. Rew topped the market with his Shorthorn yearlings at $7.25.  Gaebler Bros. purchased a Buick for their livery business.
     December 15, Mrs. Hanna Bayes, age 73, passed away.

There is too much to tell about William Jennings Bryan, so I'll let that go. The photo, however, is from his 1908 election campaign.  Too bad he wasn't speaking from a train.

I thought $195 seemed like a lot of money to pull in for a fundraiser in 1908 so I went in search of an inflation calculator.  The closest year I could find was 1913; $195 in 1913 adjusted for inflation would be $4,690 in 2016.  Good going, you 1908 Winsiders!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment