Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The flag


March 16, 1933 - Finished making place cards, etc.  Have the room decorated also.  I guess we'll have enough snow for our ice cream tomorrow.  Mr. Behmer brought some clamps up today to fasten the flag to the flag rope.
March 17, 1933 - Cold and cloudy. Sprinkled a little at noon.  Louise N. came up this morning.  She stayed for the party.  We had to play inside.  Our ice cream didn't get so hard.  The other folks had to hurry home because it looked so rainy.  Mom and I slid down to Walkers in the mud.  The boys put on the chains.  We got home fine.  Had to push a little just by the house.
March 18, 1933 - Cold, damp, cloudy day.  I went down to Annie Boyd's and had a permanent.  Went to the library.  Started snowing a little this evening.  Read my books until quite late.

Sounds like the ice cream was passable, if not quite up to Grandma's standards.  I imagine a fun time was had by all, regardless.

I thought to use a flag photograph (obviously) and even remembered to grab a photo of the flag that was in use in 1930.  How orderly those rows look.

I wish I could fly a flag at our house, but with the crazy winds we get, any flag I have tried has been in tatters in no time.  (In fact, my porch-mounted flag pole started the day pointing towards the west when we left one day, and was laying on the patio table, pointing straight east when we got home; bent nearly in to two pieces.)  I can try to remember to bring one in when it is forecast to be windy, but it would still take a beating.  I remember how there was a run on flags in the stores after 9/11/01.  And also that a lady sent a letter to the editor saying that was a real shame -- that people should have already had flags.  I happened to have one myself prior to 9/11.  I usually put it out for special occasions.  After I got home from work that day, I put it out and it stayed out until it didn't look nice any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment