Thursday, May 5, 2016

Harold Dean on the scene


March 10, 1933 - I got part of my order from Montgomery's today.  Ray came after me.  We stopped out to Ola's.  They have a little boy, born March 7.  They named him Harold Dean.  I went to lodge tonite and am on the next lunch committee.  Cold tonite.
March 11, 1933 - Cleaned my clothes today.  Got a library book for school this evening and also two others to read.  Mom cut out my new dress that I got from Montgomery's.  Ray cracked black walnuts for our ice cream this Friday.
March 12, 1933 - We went up to Uncle Hans' to dinner, a farewell for Emelia and Art.  A lot of the snow thawed today.  Mom and I had to walk up three hills going from Uncle Hans' to Walkers.  Ray has decided to go home with Emelia and Art.  They leave this week sometime.

I know I am heavy on the Winside history lately, but I couldn't resist sharing 1907.  A little funny, this one:

     January 10, George Gabler is moving to town in the Ed. Lucas house.
     February 14, Since the performance of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the bravest of our women will not go down the cellar or cave after potatoes after dark.
     February 21, B. Ramsey and Sons sold out to Gaebler Bros. their livery stable.
     February 25, Wm. Kallstrom started to work in town as a carpenter.
     March 7, George Lewis returned home from Independence, Iowa with a bride.  His bride was former Miss Frances Hovey.
     March 14, C. E. Benshoof bought out the I. D. Brugger implement buisness.
     March 29, Bump Needham had to postpone his wedding day on account of sickness.
     April 1, G. A. Mittelstadt and family moved to Winside, taking over the lumber yard formerly run by A. C. Goltz.  Tom Prince bought the Peavy Elevator for $4,500, possession being given on May 1.  T. A. Strong will continue to manage the elevator.
     June 24, At the annual school meeting the board added the 11th grade, incorporated as a high school and will in the future be composed of six members instead of three.
    August 15, A. H. Carter sold his store to R. H. Morrow.
     September 5, two traveling men from Hartington hired an auto livery to bring them to Winside.  The trip was made in two hours and ten minutes.
     November 29, the new water works engine was tried out today.

I am not sure of the routes available in 1907, but now the shortest mileage between Hartington and Winside is 35 miles.

The actors in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde must have been something to behold!

No comments:

Post a Comment