Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Ouch and clocks


Tues., March 28, 1933 - The roads are getting quite dry after all the rain and snow.  Things worked smooth as a clock spring in school.  I wish every day would be as nice.  We went to a party at Nurnberg's this evening, that is, all except Evie, she had company from Norfolk.  Had quite a good time, got home about 1:15.
Wed., March 29, 1933 - School just the opposite of yesterday.  I was tired and plus that, there was a real March wind from the south.  The pupils enjoyed the letters from each of Marjorie's folks that I got in the mail yesterday.  I washed out some hose and went to bed early this evening.
Thurs., March 30, 1933 - I got a letter from Mom and Mildred Andersen today.  Mildred is getting her school for the fifth year, but will receive only $75 instead of $100 as she has been having.  I washed and finger waved my hair this evening.

I don't know that I'd be too keen on a 25% decrease in salary.

I remember two clocks from Grandma's house.  I watched the one on the shelf in the dining room being carefully wound with its little key on many occasions.  I want to say it was originally Grussfather's, but I am not positive about that.  It, and the shelf it sat on, is currently stored safely in one of my closets, waiting for Mitch to take it some day when he's got a house or other permanent-type place of his own.  It was so nice that it was passed to him.

The other clock in Grandma's house was the cuckoo clock in the living room.  Between my fascination with the weights that had to be carefully pulled to wind the clock, and the little kids' reaction when they would hear it go off, and it tending to "cuckoo cuckoo" right after someone said something silly -- who knew a clock could be so entertaining?  I believe the first cuckoo clock Grandma and Grandpa had came from Bill when he was in Germany in the Air Force.  But, as usual, I might be mistaken about that.

(I don't have good wedding pictures yet, but will post when I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment