Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day 2016




Thurs., April 6, 1933 - Light covering of snow on the ground this morning, all gone by first recess.  Reviewed so much today my head is just about dizzy.  I hope Laurence does well tomorrow.  Read and listened to radio this evening.
Fri., April 7, 1933 - Seemed funny with Laurence gone.  Mom was here at 4:00.  We stopped in at Misfeldts.  I asked Marjorie about having our school picnics together.  We didn't make any definite plans, but I guess we'll take them to Norfolk.  We went out to Ola's, had supper there.  The baby is a month old.  He's grown a lot since I saw him last.
Sat., April 8, 1933 - Washed my clothes, ironed them and cleaned up the house.  I went down town this evening to the library.  Met Alma and we had quite a talk.  She accompanied me on my wanderings!  Mom was working a jig-saw when I got home.  I helped her finish it, of course.

Normal sorts of stuff for Grandma, so I'll veer off to 2016.

Yesterday was Memorial Day and I was lucky enough to get to ride to Winside with Bill and Tom and Bev.  First we attended Dorothy Jo's 90th birthday open house at the church.  From what I heard there were over 100 people there.  I tried to keep an eye out in case there were not enough chairs and someone needed mine to be able to sit for a while.

After that was over, we all headed to the cemetery, one of my favorite places as mentioned previously in this blog.  I had not walked around there with that particular bunch of folks before and therefore the conversations about this or that stone were different from different perspectives.

Lastly we stopped at the veterans' memorial by the courthouse in Wayne.  Bill wanted to see his name there.  Nice that the county is small enough that all veterans can be listed on the memorial, not only those lost in combat or otherwise passed on.  So, we stayed a bit and found other family members' and acquaintances' names.  The shadows were getting a bit long and my photography skills are not what they could be, but the photos above are (obviously) from the memorial.  Hats off to the committee that put the memorial together.

Then we had a most pleasant ride back.

Quite the nice day.


No comments:

Post a Comment