Friday, April 25, 2014

Who is Mote?


February 13, 1932 - Mother has been down to Katz' since Wednesday.  I washed my clothes this morning.  I went down and talked to Mother, then down town awhile.  I got a letter from Jane Jeffrey.  Ray and I played Rummy awhile and went to bed early.  Snowing tonite.
February 14, 1932 - Snowing and blowing this morning.  Got my clothes dried and started for Hoskins about 9:30.  Got to Hoskins and had to walk the rest of the way. I pasted pictures in my album.  We played Rook this evening.
February 15, 1932 - My fire was started for me this morning.  The road to the school is about all blocked.  Dorothy J. won't have her party tomorrow nite, I bet.  Got a valentine today and don't know who it's from.  Mote got one too that the return had not been included.  We played Rook. Mote and I had a friendly fight.

Neither Mom nor Nancy know who Mote is.  I've looked over the handwriting carefully and I am pretty sure it is Mote and not Mate.  Perhaps it will become clear later.  It must be someone at the Walkers' place since that is where Grandma stayed during this time.

I'm confused.  Grandma started to Hoskins and then had to walk.  Did she ditch a car somewhere or how did she get as far as she did before having to walk?  And the poor thing, how far did she walk in snow and maybe blowing snow?  She survived, we know that, so I guess it's not a big deal, just a curiosity we will never have the answer for.  Or more correctly, for which we will never have an answer.

The photo is Hoskins, circa 1913.

No comments:

Post a Comment