Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lots for me to learn on this one


January 29, 1932 - Today has been the coldest day this winter.  A strong wind from the northwest.  I went to school and I think I froze heel and knees.  Only Raymond came.  Willard had a fire started.  I came home at noon.  Read this afternoon.  We played Rook tonite.  The roads are blocked.
January 30, 1932 - I washed some of my clothes, mended, washed my hair and Evie finger-waved them.  I pasted pictures in my album and fixed my hektograph.  Cold today.  We played Rook this evening.  I slept with the girls last nite and am going to again tonite.  And fun!
January 31, 1932 - A month ago today it started snowing and we haven't seen the ground since.  We played Dominoes and Rook this afternoon and evening.  Evie made "kid" candy.  Evie and I cut out things for an illustrated letter.  I'm going to send one to Mrs. Smith.

Admission No. 1:  I had to look up what a hektograph was.

Admission No. 2:  I do not know what "kid" candy is.

Admission No. 3:  I am curious as to how early dismissal of school worked in 1932.  Did Grandma just send Raymond on his way?  (I imagine that may depend on how old he was.)  Did she walk him home if he wasn't very old?  Was there a phone to tell his parents he was coming?  Since it sounds like it was a pretty bad day weather-wise, I just can't see a schoolteacher just saying goodbye at the door and the two of them parting ways.  Nowadays, of course, there are texts and alerts and all kinds of ways to notify parents of an early dismissal.

In looking up hektograph, I found a rather interesting article on wikipedia.  I won't reproduce it here since it is somewhat lengthy (even just the super neat stuff), but refer my dear readers to the site to read for themselves if they are so inclined.

I have been forgetting to mention that this particular diary has lots of birthdays written in the margins, so if anyone is wanting to know or verify a family birth date, I may be able to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment