Monday, April 28, 2014

Guilt-free and quilt-free


February 16, 1932 - Fire started at school this morning.  Started snowing this forenoon.  About 3 o'clock Bob and Lloyd came after the kids.  I dismissed school and went home with Nurenberg's.  Evie has her "Double Wedding Ring" in the frame and I quilted a little.  We played Rook tonite and had ice cream and cake.  The wind is blowing pretty hard.
February 17, 1932 - Fire started again.  The wind isn't blowing as hard as it did yesterday.  Only Laurence, Alfred, and Raymond were at school today.  The roads are all drifted shut.  I wore a pair of Mike's overalls to school and coming home I tried the deepest snowbanks.  I slept from 7:30 to 9:30 on the Midland daybed.  Then got up and listened to a choir sing.
February 18, 1932 - Fire started again!  All the kids back in school today.  I made out report cards and my monthly report.  Hektographed some work for tomorrow and then Mote and I played "Over the Top".  They opened the road today, and it's easier walking.

I was thinking this morning on my way to work about these diaries of Grandma's and what she would think of this blog and us discussing her comings and goings back in the day.  I think, since she doesn't disclose deep dark secrets, that she might like to be reminded of sitting on prune boxes and testing deep snow due to wearing overalls.  I bet she would have some embellishments about some of this that would be fun to hear.  So, I've decided to shut away any thoughts that all this might not sit right with Grandma.  I think she would enjoy it.

I looked to find out what game "Over the Top" is and came up empty.  Rats.

The photo is of some anonymous quilt-maker's quilt as I couldn't find a photo of a double wedding ring that Grandma made.


1 comment:

  1. I don't think that Mom ever made a double wedding ring quilt. I know the Ladies Aid quilted several of them for other people.

    ReplyDelete