Monday, March 3, 2014

Success!


December 15, 1931 - Worked on programs some more today.  Tonite we started to put up decorations.  We didn't have enough icicles.  Annie, Ola, Annabelle, LeRoy, Dora, George, Hans and Ray came tonite and watched us practice.
December 16, 1931 - Evelyn came up today and practiced with the pupils on their songs.  Walkers went to Norfolk today and got more icicles for me.  Tonite is our last practice.  Mildred and I rode home in the trunk.  From Jochens to Walkers Willard hung on as best he could.  And did he look funny!
December 17, 1931 - Today we finished decorating the schoolhouse.  We put in extra seats and benches.  There was a big crowd at my program.  We had 10 boxes which brought $11.45.  Mine brought $3.50.  Gustov Koll got it.  Mayme's sold for $2.80.  Walter Herman from Norfolk got the turkey. We took in over $20.00 all together and charged $15.30.  Bud left us at the schoolhouse and Arnold and Lydia Wittler took us girls home.

I am going to declare Grandma's program as a new teacher a grand success.  Shoot, eight people came just to the practice.  And the Walkers went and got the needed icicles to make sure things looked nice.  Let's see, ten boxes for a total of $11.45, yet Grandma's box went for more than 25% of the take.  Impressive!

Riding in the trunk?  This can't be a car trunk like I am familiar with; I just can't see that happening.

(I don't think Grandma wore such a dress as the girl in the photo to decorate her tree, but I found a photo of some decent icicle placement and figured I should use it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment