Thursday, March 20, 2014

Knee zippers?


January 8, 1932 - It seemed colder today at school than any day this week.  Mr. Walker got a portable phonograph in Norfolk today.  Lloyd, Mayme, Alex and I went to the Granada tonite.  We saw "Sooky".  It was real good.  We stopped in at Hoskins at the Club Dance, but there weren't many there and we didn't stay long.
January 9, 1932 - We went to Norfolk today.  I stopped at Hoskins and got my check.  I got some new knee zippers at Herman Fleer's.  Florence came up tonite.  We walked down town and then went up to her place.  Ralph and Edwin came up and we played cards until 15 minutes to 2 o'clock.
January 10, 1932 - Mother and I went up to Hazel Prince's this afternoon.  Arlington was home and we played cards.  Lloyd, Mayme, Alex and I went to the Lyric and saw Clive Brook in "Husband's Holiday".  "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" was at the Granada but Lloyd didn't want to see a spooky show, so we didn't go.

I almost couldn't find out anything about Sooky or Husband's Holiday.  But then persistence paid off and here is a still of Jackie Cooper from Sooky.  I couldn't find a synopsis, but if Grandma says it was a good movie, then I concur wholeheartedly.

Another story about the Mols in Denmark:

Three Molboes watching a sunset were suddenly aware that the sun always goes down in the west.  Discussing this great discovery they recalled with equal astonishment that it rises in the east.  Said one, "That's because it goes underneath us during the night,"  "No, said the second, "it goes north - on and on so that we don't see it."  "You're a couple of fine fools, said the third, "It most certainly goes back the same way as it came during the day, but because it's dark we don't see it."

Tee hee.

By the way, what are 'knee zippers'?




1 comment:

  1. I don't remember ever hearing about knee zippers. Can't even hazard a guess.

    ReplyDelete