Friday, March 21, 2014

Another Mols story


January 11, 1932 - The schoolhouse wasn't as cold this morning as I thought it would be.  I got the questions from Miss Sewell today for the semester examinations.  Looked at questions, wrote letters and talked this evening.
January 12, 1932 - The weather report for today said colder, but it thawed today.  We went to League tonite at Meierhenry's.  We went with Maas's.  I mailed the money for the seals we sold and those left to Miss Sewell today.
January 13, 1932 - Today is colder.  We're supposed to have a blizzard today but we didn't.  School wasn't so good today.  I guess I was rather tired.

Nice that Grandma felt the reason for a punk day at school was her weariness as opposed to uncooperative children.

Another story from the Mols:

Molboes are not good at arithmetic and it was once put to a hard test.  It was a matter of how many of them there were in a party.  They knew there had been seven when they started off for a day's fishing, but not one of them could see more than six people to count though they all tried.  They tried over and over again for a long time, but always there was one missing whoever did the counting, so they asked a passer-by -- who was not a Molbo -- to help.  The stranger found a large and soft dropping of cow dirt and told them to lie down in a circle round it.  He then told them to put their noses in it and count the holes they made. This they cheerfully did and they were greatly relieved to count seven clear dents which proved that no one was missing.

This reminds me of a joke of Victor Borge's.  He said that he could prove that a one-eyed man could see more than a two-eyed man.  His proof was that when the one-eyed man looked at the two-eyed man he saw two eyes, but when the two-eyed man looked at the one-eyed man, he saw only one eye.  Perhaps the old kind of humor from the Mols' stories has kept its place in Denmark's people.  I just had to add a photo of someone really enjoying and laugh and I couldn't pass up Aunt Irene when I came to this one.

2 comments:

  1. I remember all the fun we've had with that silly mask. I still have it if anyone wants to take any family photos with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember all the fun we had with that silly mask. Taking pictures to show the family all looked the same. I still have the mask if anyone wants to use it again.

    ReplyDelete