Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A name for a goat


July 8, 2002:  Played cards in evening down in the Party Room.  Bernice came late in afternoon.  She said they would be out of town from Wed. until Sat. and asked me to pick up their daily paper.
July 9, 2002:  Baked three loaves of banana bread.  Mary took me to hair dresser -- this was the last day with Kitty (she graduates) -- next week I'll have Angie.  Dolores here in evening and we played Rummikub.  Took banana bread to Bernice.
July 10, 2002:  Played lazy today. Went to Book Club in evening.  Took the book "A Day with Pres. Kennedy" back and brought home "Sapphira and the Slave Girl" by Willa Cather.

I looked it up and "Sapphira and the Slave Girl" was the last novel published written by Willa Cather.  I read another of her books, title not recalled right now, and in it was a character's name that I thought would be a great name for a goat.  I didn't have any unnamed goats, or any goats at all, at that time so I could not use the name.  Then, when I got two unnamed goats, I couldn't remember the character from the Willa Cather book.  Alas, I was left to keep on with my Andy Griffith naming scheme for the critters -- Andy and Barney for the goats.  I think Grandma and Grandpa would have gotten a kick out of them.

And there they are in their curiousity-filled glory.  I put them in the dog pen this weekend to eat down the weeds and such, and the one on the right spent at least five minutes inspecting a dog leash that was hanging on the fence.

2 comments:

  1. We like our goats, good milk, good meat. Jim H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still hoping for dairy goats one day.

    ReplyDelete