Sunday, March 3, 2013

Quilting lesson


"January 22, 2002:  Foot still hurts some.  Warm today -- high of 59 degrees.
January 23, 2002:  Mary came at noon and ate lunch -- I showered.  In evening to Book Club.
January 24, 2002:  Myrtle's birthday -- Also Mary's.  Called Myrtle in a.m.  Helen Jones called in p.m.

I found a speech Grandma typed out and most likely gave somewhere, sometime.  There is nothing I've found so far to indicate an audience or a date.  But, I haven't read through it all so maybe there will be hints along the way.  Since Grandma was a prolific quilter, it is only appropriate to put here what she knew and researched and liked about quilts.  It will take a few posts to get it all, but that's fine with me.  Here we go.  Oh, I am going to include her notes to herself that aren't complete sentences just because.

[Glad to be here]
[Miss Ramsey]
["fruited plane"]
[Not a professional orator]

Little is known of the early history of quilting.  The noun quilt is derived from the Latin word "culcita" meaning a sack, mattress or cushion filled with feathers, wool, or hair used to lie upon or as a cover.

From ancient statuary it has been learned that quilted clothing was used 3,000 years ago.  At the time of William the Conqueror and the Crusades at the end of the 11th century, quilted jackets were worn under the knight's armor.

Explorers in India, Egypt and other eastern countries discovered patchwork and it was brought back to the Mediterranean countries and then across Europe and into northern England.

In the 1200's quilting was a cottage industry in Wales and northern England.  In the 1700's fashionable women in the British Isles enjoyed the warmth and beauty of quilted [bulky!] silk petticoats and coverlets.

French needlewomen are credited with introducing the art of applique [Dresden Plate, Mary's butterfly] and the Italians gave us trapunto [have read about trapunto, haven't seen any, looks like a lot of work] , which is outlining a design and then stuffing it to give a 3-dimensional effect.

Well, a granddaughter who stayed the night is requesting muffins for breakfast, so I better go make some.  More quilt information tomorrow.  But before I go, a photo that cracks me up.  I don't think he was truly angry, but it certainly looks like Grandpa is not enjoying Aunt Marina's turn at cards.  He wasn't playing so she isn't beating him, but he does look dissatisfied. 


2 comments:

  1. It looks to me like Daddy doesn't think much of the play Aunt Marina had made or was going to make. Sort of like he's thinking "I wouldn't do that if I were playing."
    I wonder if Mom's speech was for a college class. I remember a Miss Ramsey that taught speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if she saved it all those years because she was pleased with her effort or in case she was asked to do something similiar again -- why reinvent the wheel?

    ReplyDelete