Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Quilting lesson, part 7


"February 9, 2002:  Two cards came today.  Nancy came in p.m. and ironed while I showered.  Mary, Mitch and Anna brought our meal from Boston market.  We played a game of Rummikub after our meal.  Then Nancy went home -- it was blowing and snowing.  Mary came after the kids about midnight.
February 10, 2002:  Sunny today -- not much snow.  Greta called in a.m.
February 11, 2002:  Mailed five thank you notes.  In evening went to Party Room and played Seven-Up with some of the residents."

I don't recall playing Seven-Up while growing up (snicker, snicker).  I wonder if that is a game Grandma learned at the Pioneer House or if we just didn't play much of that particular game during my childhood.  In any event, I like it.  It's easy to learn and the strategy is straightforward and you can talk and visit and do not have to concentrate too awfully much.  My kind of game exactly.

On to the quilting:

Interested in quilt making since before I was married -- pieced a Broken Star and Grandmother's Flower Garden.  Started again after retirement 12 years ago.  [a clue as to when this was written - MJS]  Really ten years ago [now she is just confusing us for her own entertainment - MJS].

Have made 20 some quilts, doesn't seem like very many after reading in magazines, lady in Pilger, over 200 quilts -- 12 pieced tops waiting to be quilted and I'm reluctant to say how many I've started cutting pieces for.  Boxes in closet of sewing room labeled - Starry Path, Spider Web, Nosegay, Log Cabin, etc.  Prefer patchwork quilts.  Use old treadle machine.  Everyday quilts -- long stitch.  Admire applique -- have made just two -- the Colonial Lady and Yellow Rose of Texas.  Enjoy studying quilt magazines -- so many encourage creating your own -- I'm not creative -- too afraid of wasting time and material.

Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel -- gorgeous quilts -- made mine seem very inferior.  Blizzardy days are my favorite -- no interruptions, scatter quilt pieces all over.  Must live to be over 100 to finish all I've started and more I want to make.  Would like to make sampler quilts based on 9-patch and 4-patch, use new quilting patterns.

Besides working on my own quilts, I'm chairman of our LCW Quilting Circle.  We've quilted about 80 quilts since the fall of 1983.  I don't have a record of the previous years.  I suppose I've marked practically all of them and bound half of them.  I'm keeping a scrapbook of the pictures of these quilts.

Oh, pish posh.  I know Georgia Bonesteel makes great quilts, but Grandma should not have said they made hers seem inferior.  She would have loved to have seen the reactions of the great-grandkids upon opening their quilts (made by her) at this last Christmas.  Only one swap was made -- due to girl v. boy color preferences, I think.  The others seemed to have been directed to the best kid to have them.  Not inferior by any stretch of the imagination.

I am guessing this is the Colonial Lady quilt Grandma referenced, but I'll take the hit if that is not the case.  I like how some of the flowers are different, depending on the fabric of the lady's dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment