Thursday, March 28, 2013

A bit of history


"March 3, 2002:  Talked to Greta in a.m.  Nancy brought a beef stew dinner about 2:00.  In the afternoon, I took a shower and she vacuumed.  Then we played Rummikub.
March 4, 2002:  I called Arlene R. in a.m. just to visit -- did that rather than write.  Played Seven-Up in the evening.
March 5, 2002:  Mary took me for my weekly shampoo and set.

Sorry for my absence yesterday.  I was in Omaha at an all-day training -- would much rather have been doing almost anything else since the training was about lead-based paint.  Snoresville.  But, I am done learning about it for another three years, so that is great.  I was late getting there due to some not-quite-so-perfect directions and also the fact that I could barely see the street signs as I headed east because the sun was in just the wrong spot.  But, if that is the worst thing that happens this week or month or year, I will be in fine shape.

I don't have anything to comment regarding Grandma's comings and goings, so I'll include something I thought was a bit funny from the History of Winside book (the 1942 edition).

The First Court Case

The first case tried in Justice of the Peace Court in Winside was on January 25, 1887.  M. H. Dodge, a young lawyer who had studied law by correspondence, was the judge.

August Krueger was the plaintiff and the defendants were Julius Krueger, Otto Krueger and Herman Krueger.  There were no lawyers on either side.

Both sides called for witnesses and a jury.  Those on the witness stand were:  August Deck, Herman Krueger, Chris Krueger and Ed. Krause.  Jury:  Warner Starr, Wm. Averill, John Cherry, John Batte, F. Shinn, James Elliott.  John Cherry was excused from jury duty on account of sickness and F. Muehlmeier took his place.  Warner Starr refused to appear so a bench warrant was issued for his arrest and he was fined $5.00 and costs.

The bill of particulars alleged the defendants owed the plaintiff the sum of $24.00 for hay and house rent.  The jury's verdict was in favor of the plaintiff August Krueger.  An execution was issued to Ernest Nehring, constable and a chattel mortgage note was given the plaintiff for the judgment and the plaintiff agreed to pay the costs.

I find a couple of things interesting and/or humorous here.  The amount of money involved causes a bit of a chuckle now, but it was obviously enough to go to court over back in 1887.  The fact that the "judge" studied law by correspondence is a nice touch.  I wonder what Warner Starr knew or didn't know or what else he had to go that day that he refused to appear.  His fine and costs was a goodly sum of money compared to what the lawsuit was about, so he must have felt strongly about things.  It is a nice touch that the plaintiff agreed to pay costs after his big win.  Since the defendants were likely related to him, maybe this was a peace offering on his part.

For no particular reason, I have dusted off the butts photo to use today.

2 comments:

  1. I recognize many of the family names. Nice post and interesting!! Jim H.

    ReplyDelete