Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Darn weather


Thurs., August 1, 1935 - The kids left at 6:30.  Worked on my quilt again.  Mrs. Loebsack was here and asked if Mom would work for Freda at Sioux City.  Mom will go Monday morning.
Fri., August 2, 1935 - I washed clothes and Mom sewed this a.m.  Annie and Ola were here a few minutes.  They went to Wayne and Grandad went with them, business of some kind.  Mrs. Schellenberg and Florence were here this evening.
Sat., August 3, 1935 - Mom sewed at Florence Reinbrecht's this a.m.  I ironed and baked bread, good bread, too.  This is the first time I've done it alone.  Barbara L. came tonite and said Mom didn't have to go to Sioux City until a week from Monday.  Howard here this evening.  Chris and Clara were hailed out yesterday.

The photo is from hail damage to a farm just south of North Bend, Nebraska, date unknown.  I don't know what crops Uncle Chris and Aunt Clara planted, but devastation is devastation.  Currently we have the awful hurricane wind damage and flooding in Texas.  So very sad and impossible to wrap one's mind around.

I have no doubt that Grandma's solo bread making was a success.  Other than the loaf she regretfully sawed into pieces in Nancy's and my presence, I do not recall hearing of any bread-ly failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment