Friday, August 10, 2018

Wouldn't you know?


Mon., September 21, 1936 - I went to town to wash this morning.  Howard came for the car this a.m. to see about getting a different corn binder as the one he's using is always breaking.  Went home after lodge with Howard.
Tues., September 22, 1936 - Ella Ruschmann is being married today.  Lilly & Edna Ruschmann are bridesmaids.  They went out there Sunday with Harry Kahlers.  Howard fixed fence today.
Wed., September 23, 1936 - Raymond & Howard still cutting corn.  They went after Clint Troutman's binder -- it didn't work so good -- so they're using the old one again.  I ironed all day.

That's my kind of luck right there -- something doesn't work, start using another something and it doesn't work, so you are back with the first non-working something.  Hopefully they were able to see the humor in that particular situation, either right away or afterwards.

I'm having trouble finding all the Ruschmanns mentioned.  I found an Edna who lived in Nebraska and married a Herbolsheimer and that name is familiar as to our family.  I see there's a Louise E. Ruschmann about Grandma's age, so maybe that's Louise Ella.  I also see some Ruschmanns in Terry Brogren's ancestry.com family tree.  I may be on to something.  Or not.  I bet Mom and Nancy can help me.

And having witnessed washing clothes the old-fashioned way and also "helped" with ironing, I can fully believe it took all day.  Actually, I did help some.  I sprinkled some clothes and got to iron Grandpa's handkerchiefs every now and then.  Fond memories.  I'm not sure what I think about an old ironing board being used for shelves.  I guess I'm okay with it.  Seems it would be better as a small table, though.  Or at least put something in the bare top part -- a framed photo or paint right on there.  Photo from etsy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment