Friday, August 17, 2018

Cottonseed meal


Thurs., November 5, 1936 - Worked like the dickens.  Uncle Chris & Gerald were here for supper.  We had milk & dumplings, chicken, baked potatoes, string beans, vegetable salad, and graham cracker pie.  After supper we played Pinochle -- Uncle Chris & I against the others.
Fri., November 6, 1936 - Howard borrowed $25 at the bank.  He bought 9 bu. of oats & 2 sacks cottonseed meal which cost about $10.  We went to the party dance at Hoskins with Gerald -- Helen & Dorothea were among those giving it.
Sat., November 7, 1936 - Cold today and snowed some more.  Howard cutting wood again.  Too cold to go to town tonite.

I must admit I've never heard of cottonseed meal before.  I learned it can be used for animal feed or for fertilizer.  Grandma skipped several days, but even so, since Grandpa was buying oats, too, I am guessing the cottonseed meal was for feed.  But, he did have a garden going as well.  Maybe he used it for both. 

I think graham cracker pie sounds really good.  Seems like the name comes largely from the crust as the pie filling only has crumbs on the top -- at least based on my quick internet search.  And can be made with or without meringue.

Photo from:  thespruceeats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment