Wednesday, August 8, 2018

It just occurred to me


Tues., September 15, 1936 - Cloudy this morning.  We got home about 1:00 p.m.  Howard and Raymond cut corn this afternoon.  I slept most of the time.
Wed., September 16, 1936 - We had silo fillers this p.m.  They were here for supper.  Carl T., Raymond, and Holtgrew.  Dorothea R. stopped here and asked me to substitute for her tomorrow -- she's going to the funeral of her aunt at Tekamah.
Thurs., September 17, 1936  Got to school about 10:15.  Dorothea left right away.  Stopped and visited with Mrs. Florenz Nieman on my way home.

It just occurred to me that it is September and Grandma isn't talking about school, until this particular mention of substituting.  I guess I didn't realize she quit teaching right away after she got married.  Was this a requirement as late as 1936?  I know once upon a time teaching was a single woman's vocation only.  I figured (without giving it a lot of thought nor researching) that that wasn't the case in the 1930s.  Otherwise, I suppose it was Grandma's choice given she had lots of things to do to keep her household and garden and etc. etc. up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment