Thursday, April 5, 2018

Valentine's Day


Thurs., February 13, 1936 - Everybody except Ruby here.  Kids are worried about what we'll do with valentines tomorrow if the weather is bad.
Fri., February 14, 1936 - Stormy again.  The usual five and Temmes were here.  We passed out our valentines and played games
Sat., February 15, 1936 - Went into town at noon in a lumber wagon with Mr. Goodling and Mr. Nieman.  Folks surprised to see me.  The cuts along the highway are full of snow!

I would love to see the valentines that were passed out in a country school in 1936.  I can understand the kids being worried -- Valentine's Day was always an exciting time when I was in school.  And of course, making the box for your cards was an even bigger deal.  At least for me it was.  I remember making a swan or some kind of bird for a card box and the base for the body and head of the thing were of styrofoam.  The only red paint around (and I probably was down to the 11th hour) was Rust-o-leum.  I do not remember how I regrouped, or if I had to come up with something else in a hurry, but I distinctly remember the paint melting my styrofoam.


No comments:

Post a Comment