Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Play ball!


October 1, 1931 - I played ball with the kids this morning, noon, and both recesses.  Evelyn cashed my check in town for me today.
October 2, 1931 - I played ball again today with the kids.  Mother and Aunt Nan came during the 2nd recess and visited during drawing period.  They helped me clean up after school.  We stopped out to Annie's a few minutes on our way home.  I went to choir practice tonite.  Florence and I had a real good time talking!  Dora, Aunt Nan and Mrs. Staben were here for supper.  Dora and Mrs. Staben stayed all nite.
October 3, 1931 - Mother did a small washing today.  I washed my hair and Ray took me to Alice's to get a fingerwave.  She was at her folks and we went there.  Mayme and I had a good talk.  I went to bed at 8 o'clock tonite.

I have a photo of Grandma jumping rope sometime in her 50's, but I would certainly love to have a photo of her playing ball.  I hope she had fun and wasn't just doing teacherly duties.

I haven't asked -- who is the Mayme that Grandma mentions often?  I am thinking Mrs. Leo Jensen spelled her name differently, so I am guessing it wasn't her.  I sure did like her and Leo.  I wish I had known them better.

(I know this photo has a permanent place on this blog, but I wanted to share it again this way.  Looks like she's wearing slippers....).  Funny to see the buildings and land behind her.  The property to the east was still a cow pasture then.  I remember seeing a cow every now and then when I was little.

2 comments:

  1. The Mayme she talked about was a real good friend. I don't remember her maiden name but she married a Herbolsheimer who was a brother of Eltie Jaeger (Carol Jorgensen's mother.) She moved to California at some time but she and Mom remained good friends. Mom went to see her at least one time that I know of when Mom was visiting in California. Now that I think about it, the folks made quite a few trips out there - by plane, train, and automobile. Mayme always wrote the most fascinating letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember she had a friend in California, but I sure didn't remember her name was Mayme!

    ReplyDelete