Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rummikub, cubed


"March 22, 2002:  Another "blah" day -- felt like I was getting a cold.
March 23, 2002:  Nancy and I to Winside.  Had corned beef and cabbage for dinner at Greta's.  Played Rummikub in the p.m.  Had Omaha Steaks for supper and then more Rummikub.  I slept in Lester's recliner.
March 24, 2002:  Palm Sunday -- went to church.  At noon went to auditorium for a pork sandwich dinner put on by a new 4-H club.  Played Rummikub again.  Left for Lincoln at 4:00.  Started to snow at Valparaiso.  Snowing pretty good when we got to Lincoln.  Had a grand weekend."

Either Grandma wasn't getting a cold after all or she pulled herself together to have a pretty busy weekend.  I really like the word "grand" used in the way she used it.

My project from the Winside history book ended up being bigger than I thought, so I'll have to crunch it down for this blog.  There is a listing of the different businesses/occupations in Winside by decade from 1886 to the 1940's.  I put them all on a grid to see how businesses came and went.  While it is interesting (to me, at least), it takes up four and a half, legal-sized sheets of paper so I really cannot scan them and use them as my "photo of the day".  I'll just list the different businesses I found:

Winside had, at one time or another, the following as listed in the book:

Agent* (I assume this was something with the railroad)
Bank
Barber
Beauty shop
Billiards
Blacksmith*
Cafe
Contractor/builder
Cream station
Dentist
Doctor*
Drayline
Drug store
Dry goods/groceries
Elevator*
Feed store
Filling station
Garage
General merchandise
Hardware*
Harness shop*
Hotel*
Ice
Implements*
Lawyer*
Library
Light plant
Livery stable
Liquor store
Livestock, grain & coal
Lumberyard*
Lunch counter
Mail carrier
Meat market
Notary
Photo studio
Picture show
Planing mill
Plumber
Postmaster*
Produce station
Radio
Real estate
Restaurant and rooms
Rooming house
Saloon
Section foreman
Shoe shop
Special police
Tailor shop
Tire repair shop
Trucking
Undertaker
Veterinarian
Winside Roller Mills
Winside Tribune
Winside Watchman

*Indicates those having an entry for all timeframes listed.  There was a newspaper during the entire time, but first the Winside Watchman and then the Winside Tribune.

The photo is the first I came upon that had both Mom and Nancy in it, and since they were both part of the grand weekend, I thought it appropriate to feature them.  You can both thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really not sure that "thanks" are needed.

    ReplyDelete