Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A wild time in the old town


"March 12, 2002:  Mary took me for my weekly shampoo.  Julie will graduate so I'll have a new girl next week.  Deloros called this evening and I went to her apartment to play Cribbage.
March 13, 2002:  Nancy took me to the doctor for a 10:00 appointment.  He increased one of the pills to two a day.  Home in time for Mary to come for lunch and I had my shower.  No Book Club meeting tonight.
March 14, 2002:  Myrtle called this a.m.  A "blah" day.  In evening Deloroes called -- she came and we played Scrabble.
March 15, 2002:  Another "blah" and dreary day.  I sorted a little of my accumulation of "stuff"."

I added a fourth day in this post when I normally have been using just three.  I saw that Grandma described her day on the 14th as blah and I felt badly that she had a blah day.  But the 15th seems to indicate she was probably remarking about the weather, so I didn't want to leave a different impression until tomorrow for my dear readers.

You will note that Grandma's friend's name spelling changes from post to post.  I seem to recall it was spelled other than the usual Delores, but since I do not remember how she spelled it, I am just going with whatever Grandma has.  I bet we get it right some of the time.

Continuing my Winside history theme, here is another feel-good story.

Armistice

November 11, 1918 -- Germany Signs Armistice -- Winside "tore loose" about 4 o'clock Monday morning, when the news was flashed into town that Germany had signed the Armistice offered them by the allied nations.
Never again will we live to see such a spectacle in Winside.  Bells ringing at the three churches, at the school house, the fire bell and the fire whistle, linked with the hum drum of pistols, guns, gongs, tin pans and a score of other noises.  Nearly 300 men, women and children were on the streets by 5 o'clock and they passed back and forth on Main street, flooding forth the joy that welled up within them, because the great war was over and the Kaiser and his evil powers lie in abject surrender at the feet of the world.


In the afternoon the Home Guards did some drilling at the town hall square and then headed a parade through Main street.  Rev. J. B. Wylie and Rev. Wm. Smith then gave talks from an automobile.  In the evening the crowd delighted themselves with fireworks and the burning of boxes -- and of course the shot guns and revolvers were in for their share of the celebration once more. -- Winside Tribune.

I don't think much more needs to be said about that.  I think the Winside Tribune did very well for itself.

Here's Anna enjoying(?) some 4th of July snakes some 80 years after the big day in Winside.

No comments:

Post a Comment