Thursday, May 28, 2015

So am I the only person who hasn't heard of this?


September 14, 1932 - Lloyd brought Ronald and me to school.  I didn't play with the kids this noon because I was too tired.  Mrs. Walker and the girls went to church tonite.  I did the dishes for them.
September 15, 1932 - Delmar went to the fair today and wasn't at school, of course.  Mr. Walker, Bud, Mike and Mote went too.  Mike entered the Ford and Pig race and won 1st prize, which was $5.  Bud's going to enter tomorrow.
September 16, 1932 - Lawrence and Ronald went to the fair.  Mrs. Walker sent 4 large cantaloupe to school today.  We ate 3 at noon and the other at recess.  Dismissed school at 2:45.  Mom came after me at 4:00.  I drove home and tried to run over a truck.

I am positive I have never heard of a Ford and Pig race.  Here is what I found on wikipedia:

"The Pig-N-Ford Races are an auto racing event staged at the fair.  The races are run every August during, and as a feature of, the Tillamook County Fair. Drivers use stripped Model T Fords with stock mechanicals. Five cars are lined up with the engines off at the start line of the Averill Arena horse racing track. Drivers stand next to the grandstands. When the starter pistol fires, the drivers run to the opposite side of the front straight, grab a live 20-pound pig from a bin, then must hand-crank their car and drive it one lap. They then stop, kill the engine, get a different pig, and race another lap. The first driver to complete three laps in this manner without losing their pig is the winner.  The race was first run in 1925. The official story is that two local farmers were chasing a runaway pig in their Model Ts and were having so much fun, they decided it should be a race at the next county fair. The Pig-N-Ford Races have been run every year since 1925. Drivers belong to the Tillamook County Model T Pig-N-Ford Association, and membership is often a lifelong affair. Cars and memberships are often passed down through families or sold to close friends. Some of the cars that first ran in 1925 are still on the track today."

I wonder if PETA knows about this.  Must not, or no one cares, because they still hold the races, at least in Tillamook County.

And all of that is distracting me from Grandma's comment about trying to run over a truck.  Sounds like she had a full day that day.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of it AND I don't want to try it either!

    ReplyDelete