Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Picnic, or no picnic?


September 11, 1932 - Ray came in this morning.  He's going to fix his car, so it's "good-bye picnic."  Mom and I went out to Ola's with him.  I washed my hair this afternoon and Lilly finger-waved it for me.  I fixed hers for her, too.  Ray brought me back to Walker's this evening.
September 12, 1932 - The League had a treasure hunt tonite.  We started at the church and went east and south of Hoskins, through stubble fields full of sand burrs and everything  We went about 5 miles before we found the treasure which consisted of suckers.  Played games at the church when we got back.
September 13, 1932 - Played ball this noon.  I went home with Ronald tonite.  We were over to Green's a few minutes this evening.  Willard Maas' birthday.

Well, it seems Uncle Ray is tinkering with his sister's destiny here.  But, as we know, all was right in the end.  Sorry for the teaser, but I wrote the truth when I said there was an Iversen sighting.

Speaking of Uncle Ray, Mom and I went to the Memorial Day program at Winside yesterday.  I had not been since high school, I'm pretty sure.  Honestly, I had forgotten about it until the speaker, who was several years behind me in school, mentioned that the school band performed at the program each year.  School was out, but we had one more band obligation to fulfill.  Not that it was a onerous obligation, just bad timing if you were really anxious for summer like most kids were.

We heard Uncle Ray's name called during the reading of the roster of deceased veterans.  As Mom commented later, the crowd was very quiet during the seven to eight minute reading.  One would expect that to be so, but often there are some folks that just have to whisper about something or other.  We didn't hear any of that kind of thing.

I know I am going to forget someone, but the other names were heard read from the family were Uncle Chris Jensen, Ramon Nielsen, Uncle Raymond Iversen, and a newly-realized cousin, Peter Petersen from William Andersen's (Grandpa Bill's) branch on the family tree.  I thought I saw a Legion marker by Uncle Chris Andersen, but Mom doesn't remember him being in the service, so it's more likely that I'm not remembering correctly.

In skipping ahead a bit in the Winside history, I note that in October of 1932, W. C. Lowry, the last of the Civil War veterans in Winside, died at the age of 89.  I am sure we heard his name called as well.

The photo is of the flag on Grandpa and Grandma's house, before he was gifted the flagpole.  Looks like it was before there was a birdbath there, but I do see the boot scraper.  Wish I'd grabbed on to that when we were getting the house emptied and ready to sell; could sure use it now.

1 comment:

  1. I think the boot scraper is over at my old house. Maybe you can make a deal with Dale and get it. Would hate to see it lost or thrown away. Sorry Mom missed the picnic.

    ReplyDelete