Thursday, May 21, 2015

Grapes? Boots?


September 5, 1932 - I played ball today with the kids.  Made out some reports after school and read from "The Child Builder" tonite.  Mom and Ray were going to get grapes from Wittlers this morning.  I wonder if they did.  And tomorrow Ray starts helping Mr. VonSeggern do carpenter work.
September 6, 1932 - We went to League at Lorene Jochens'.  Played games outside.  We had sandwiches, cake, and watermelon for lunch.
September 7, 1932 - Played ball today.  Mrs. Walker and the girls and boys went to church and I washed the dishes, and Mr. Walker wiped them.

I had no idea anyone ever grew grapes around Winside.  Perhaps the town missed its destiny as wine country.

I intended to keep up with the Winside History book in 1932 and add items for that year (in addition to doing the older stuff like I have been) to match the dates and events in Grandma's diary.  I was cleaning my desk today and found notes to that effect.  So, I'll do a teensy bit of catch-up now.

From the book, earlier in 1932, Mrs. August Nehring, age 96 was laid to rest, and Peder Jacobsen (age not noted) died.  The Whisker Club was organized on July 21 with 42 members. The rules were that they whiskers had to stay on until August 20.  And that is because the Old Settlers Picnic was on August 19.  The entry in this history book was:

      "August 19, Old Settlers Picnic was a big success; Dr. McIntyre who won first prize in the Whisker Club, was arrayed in an ancient dress suit consisting of a high silk hat and a swallowtail coat.  He also had spectacles to say nothing of a perfect set of sideburns that were as real as they make 'em.  Mrs. Emma Agler, 80 years old, was the oldest Wayne county settler."  I would like to see a photo of Dr. McIntyre's in his costume and whiskers.

Now I am caught up.

Here is a school picture of Mom in February of 1945.  I am curious as to why the kids have shoes on, but there are boots lined up outside.  What's up with that, you country school veterans?

1 comment:

  1. I think those "boots" were our overshoes. Just as the name says you put them on over your shoes so your shoes did not get muddy.

    ReplyDelete