Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Another movie


March 17, 1932 - Tried to snow a little today but it didn't succeed.  Were going to practice our play tonite, but Mike was sick.  Lydia called up and asked me to spend the weekend with her.  And I guess I'll go.  Made out report cards this evening.
March 18, 1932 - I was going to wash my hair and have Evie fingerwave it for me.  But she hid, for fun, and I just about thought she had gone to Fremont.  Lydia, "Pete" Lundquist and Arnold came after me tonite.  We played "Rook" and did we have fun.  Lydia and I talked quite late.
March 19, 1932 - Talked a lot today.  Cold and cloudy all day.  Tonite Bud Templin, Lydia, Arnold and I went to Norfolk.  We saw Bill Boyd in "Suicide Fleet".  Real exciting.  I saw Ray's car but didn't see him.  Also was Raymond Jochens.

The photo shows the lovely Ginger Rogers in a still from Suicide Fleet.  But not Bill Boyd.  I like the decoration on Ginger's dress.

Grandma's diary has some interesting stuff in it that she didn't even write.  There is a historical fact for each day in little print at the bottom.  It is fun to see what shows up, compared to what might be used all these years later.  For instance, these were all for March dates:

The Boston Massacre - 1770
Dred Scott decision - 1857
First telephone patent taken out by Bell - 1876
Stamp Act passed by British House of Lords - 1765
Sale of liquor and tobacco prohibited by the Sultan of Turkey - 1887
Marshal Ferdinand Foch, commander-in-chief of the Allied Armies during the World War, died at Paris - 1929

Of course, it is the World War, not World War I since the second one hadn't started yet.

Here are March events from 70 years later, in 2002:

Space Shuttle mission STS-109 is launched.
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother dies at Royal Lodge, Windsor.
Israeli-Palestinian conflict: A suicide bomber explodes in My Coffee Shop, a Tel Aviv café, wounding 32 people.
Twentieth Century Fox's American television drama series The Shield premieres.

Quite a different tone in 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment