Sunday, August 25, 2013

Argh!!


July 29, 2002:  Played [??] in party room this evening.  Dolores came afterward and we played Rummikub.
July 30, 2002: Mary took me to Beauty School for my hair-do.  The new girl Angie is faster and more on time than Kitty was.  Dale's birthday is the 30th.
July 31, 2002:  I baked three loaves of frozen bread.  Went to Book Club this evening.  Brought home "Once Upon a [??] by Bob Greene -- about North Platte during World War II.  Jayme's birthday.

The title of this blog is because I finally am online (at home) and trying to hurry this up, and what happens? -- for the first time I can remember since beginning this blog, I cannot decipher two words of Grandma's handwriting in the same post.  I can look up the title of the book, perhaps, but the card game is totally lost to me.  Oh, well.  I don't suppose it is terribly important.

Today many of us were up at the Winside Cemetery (one of my favorite spots, you may remember) to inter Uncle Raymond's ashes.  Lynn and Lorraine came from Oregon with the ashes and led us in a somewhat short, but informal and fitting send-off for a man we all loved very much.  I told Mitch about it and he was sharing a beer with all of us all the way from Arizona.  Afterwards we went to Lois's for sandwiches and such.  A very nice time was had.  Lorraine brought some photographs that were Uncle Raymond's and we got to choose the ones we wished to keep.  There were definitely some I had not seen before and that is always fun.

Found the book -- Once Upon a Town, about the marvelous canteen the town of North Platte pulled together when the trains came through full of men going off to war.  I remember reading a newspaper article about it.  One of the things the ladies doing the cooking and baking did was to have birthday cakes available for however many soldiers were having birthdays when they came through.  One man took a cake even though it wasn't his birthday.  He was shamed so by the others that he ended up giving it back.

Since Uncle Raymond was part of The Greatest Generation that served during WWII, it would be very fitting if I could post a photo of him in his Army uniform.  I am sure I have seen one.  However, I do not have it scanned and ready to go, and I am tempting fate and my internet as it is by making this somewhat long, so I am posting a photo of Uncle Raymond and Grandpa eating some sweet corn.  Works for me.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the time we spent at the cemetery remembering and honoring Uncle Raymond was very nice. Something I know he would have approved of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father Gurney said, "Last day of school, off come the shoes". I suppose they could use them the next year or pass down??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mom. And the bare feet in that photo are just too cute. I bet the shoes were not thought of most of the summer.

    ReplyDelete