Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Nope, it's still nite


Fri., May 8, 1936 - Rained last nite and quite a bit today.  Mr. Nieman took me to town.  Davis', Fritz & Ella Mann, Irene, Helen, Raymond, Florence & Edwin here for Card Club.  The rain kept the rest home.  We served ginger bread with whipped cream.  Howard is down at Elmer's.
Sat., May 9, 1936 - Cloudy & rainy today.  After we straightened the house, I embroidered.  I made out the order for the wallpaper for "the house."
Sun., May 10, 1936 - This is Mother's Day.  Cleared up in a.m.  Mom went to church.  In the afternoon she went to the school house -- Patron's Day.  Annie, Ola, kids, Audrey and Mary Farran came home with her.  They all had lunch here.  Mom and I walked down to Schellenbergs' and Annie Miller's tonite after supper.  I thought Howard wasn't coming tonite but he showed up anyway.  He's helping Elmer this week.

Other than knowing the meanings of the words themselves, I am not sure what Patron's Day is and how Grandma Anna came to collect so many to come home and have lunch.  Maybe they were volunteering and doing good things up at the schoolhouse and were hungry.

I have a bunch of embroidery patterns from when we cleaned out Grandma's house.  I couldn't begin to make a dent in actually using them, but I can't bear to part with them.  Just like all the recipes I have collected that I will never use.  Ah, well -- what's the harm, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment