Monday, May 14, 2018

And there we have it


Thurs., April 23, 1936 - Howard took me to town tonite.  Mom and I saw Will Rogers in "In Old Kentucky".  Howard's eyes hurt so he didn't care to go.  We decided tonite to tie the knot June 7.
Fri., April 24, 1936 - Mr. Nieman took me into town after school.  Went to Lodge.  We initiated Mrs. Larson for the Carroll lodge.
Sat., April 25, 1936 - Went down town this a.m.  Washed and ironed my school clothes.  Went to Card Club at Wackers'.  Howard stayed home to get some rest, so he said.

I would guess (and hope!) that Grandma's saying "so he said" was not intended to sound the way it does.  Quite frankly, it cracked me up when I read that -- so much for newly-engaged bliss.

It's more of a teaser than a plot summary, but this is what I found on IMDB about the movie:

     "Horse trainer Steve Tapley is caught between the feuding Martingale and Shattuck families. He sides with young Nancy Martingale and her grandfather Ezra, and the feud is to be resolved by a horse race between the favorites of each family. Unfortunately, the Martingale's horse, Greyboy, only runs well in mud. And it hasn't rained in a long time."

And from wikipedia:

     "In Old Kentucky is a 1935 American comedy film starring Will Rogers, Dorothy Wilson and Russell Hardie. Two feuding families decide to settle a dispute with a horse race. It was Rogers' last film and was released posthumously, after he was killed in a plane crash on August 15, 1935."

Movie poster found at IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment