Thursday, January 28, 2016

Good heavens!


January 9, 1933 - I got a ride part of the way to school with Mr. Walker this a.m.  Laurence was up there.  He brought me my beads.  All the Nurnbergs were gone today.  School was quite peaceful and calm.  Read and talked this evening.  I took the Good Housekeeping magazine to bed with me and read until 11:30.  Mr. Walker cut off about 2 inches of my hair tonite.  It feels and looks better.
January 10, 1933 - Got to school a little later than usual this a.m.  This noon Laurence said that anyone that drank bootleg whiskey should be hung up by their toes and cut to pieces.  Delmar said there wouldn't be many people left.  Nurnbergs absent again. Mr. W., Mote and I played Rook and Rummy tonite.  I was 2nd in Rook and low in Rummy.  I copied a few examination questions.
January 11, 1933 - Much colder this morning.  We sat around the stove for lessons until 10:00.  Nurnbergs still absent.  The boys are shelling corn in the sand table.  And what a time they have.  Went to town tonite to get my check.  Mr. Strate is in Omaha and won't be back until Fri or Sat.  Went to prayer meeting.  Lydia asked me to spend this weekend with her.  Wrote a letter to Mom when I got home.


I wonder what Laurence thought on December 5 of this same year when Prohibition was ended.  I peeked ahead and Grandma is silent on the whole topic.  Everyone in the photo looks pretty serious, except the barkeep who has a bit of a smile on his face.  Get a load of that decanter or glass or whatever that the lady in the foreground is holding!

What exactly is Grandma implying with school being peaceful and calm without the Nurnberg kids present?

No comments:

Post a Comment