Sunday, January 3, 2016

1933 and Bunco


December 31, 1932 - Finished my sewing and pressing today.  Went down to the library this p.m.  Tonite Ray and I went to a watch party at Hazel Jochens. We played Bunco.  Mike and Ray were tied for 1st prize, they shook dice and Ray got it.  We had a really good time.
January 1, 1933 - To S.S. and church this morning.  Read and slept this afternoon.  This evening Ray and I went to the dance at Hoskins.  G.P. told me a good riddle about olives and girls.  Ray went home with Hans Ehlers.  I went home at intermission and took the car.  At first it wouldn't start, the simple reason I hadn't released the emergency brake.
January 2, 1933 - I wasn't as tired this morning as I expected to be.  I went to Walker's right after school and took the car, went to Winside.  I gave Viola Chapman a ride.  Mother and I went to the Rebekah and Odd Fellow joint installation.  We had an oyster supper afterward.  Ray took me back to Walkers.  We took Alma to Bojens.  I got back to W's just as they were going to bed.  They had League here tonite.

Grandma has mentioned Bunco different times and I never knew exactly what it was.  Thanks to my good buddy, wikipedia, I found out quite a bit.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  No decisions or strategy, so it would be an appropriate game when people want to talk more than think, and also with a wide range in the ages of players.  One reference indicates it is sometimes called "The Housewife's Drinking Game" - don't know if I would go that far after reading up on it.  Ha!

I peeked ahead and there are definitely Iversen and Howard Iversen references in 1933, so much so that eventually Grandpa is just Howard, no Howard Iversen.  This is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment