Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Other thoughts on a motto?


December 22, 1932 - Warm and thawing again.  Alfred came back to school this morning.  We practiced quite a bit.  Tonite I popped corn. Mote helped me make "cracker jacks" of it.  Lou Scheurich and his mother were here this evening.  Lou and Evie made out their S.S. Xmas program.  Florence Frink's birthday.  Donald Podoll birthday.
December 23, 1932 - We cleaned up the schoolhouse and practiced this morning.  About 25 were at school this p.m. for the program.  "Santa Claus" distributed the treats and gifts.  I got hankies, stationary, salt & pepper shakers, candles and candle stick holders from the school kids.  Mom, Ray and I took down the decorations.  We went to bed early this evening.
December 24, 1932 - Cleaned up and got ready for tomorrow.  Went down town this p.m.  Ola was in town.  They won't be able to come tomorrow, Annie and Annabelle have the flu.  Mom, Grussmother and I went to the Xmas program this evening at church.  Opened our presents.  I got a comb, brush and mirror set, earrings, bath salts, and a motto.

The best I can tell, a motto used in this way is a saying on a badge or banner or some such.  If anyone else has a thought on that, I'd be glad to hear it.

Call me silly, but the images I have in my head of a country schoolhouse full of excited kids, adoring grown-ups, and a dressed-up Santa Claus handing out gifts are hard to beat.  The photo isn't from a school but the era is right.  Love all the carefully-placed tinsel.

1 comment:

  1. I've experienced school programs as a student and as a teacher. It was an exciting time indeed. We put up sheets for the stage curtains. Kids had so much fun peeking through the curtains to see who was there.

    ReplyDelete